- What is ILLiad?
- Who is eligible to use Interlibrary Loan?
- What information must to be provided to register for Interlibrary Loan?
- Who is considered a Distance Learner?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What Web browser should I use?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
- What materials can be borrowed?
- Can I borrow items published in the current year?
- Can I borrow textbooks?
- If an FSU book is currently checked out, can I request it on ILL?
- Can I request an item from another library in Tallahassee?
- How do I submit requests?
- How long does it take to receive the item I request?
- How will ILL notify me when my item has arrived?
- How will I get the materials I requested?
- When are ILL materials due?
- How do I return the materials?
- How do I renew the materials?
- What happens if the materials are overdue?
- What if I lose or damage the materials?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about my Interlibrary Loan request?
- Can a student check out items for a faculty member?
- Can faculty have Interlibrary Loan items delivered to their office?
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the electronic system software you use to request an item through Interlibrary Loan.
Who is eligible to use Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
ILL is available to FSU students, faculty and staff who are currently enrolled or employed at FSU and have a valid FSUCard.
- FSU Interlibrary Loan service should be the primary source of material for Distance Learners (those students who live beyond 50 miles of the Tallahassee FSU campus).
- Interlibrary Loan service for FSU students in the College of Law is provided at the College of Law Library.
- Interlibrary Loan service for FSU students in the College of Medicine is provided at the College of Medicine Library.
- FSU students, staff, and faculty at the Panama City, Florida campus should consult the Panama City ARC webpage.
- FSU patrons at the FSU Republic of Panama Branch Library should consult the FSU Panama Branch Library webpage. NOTE: Republic of Panama Faculty, Students and Staff may only request books owned by FSU Main Campus Libraries through Interlibrary Loan. Any Electronic Documents may also be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
- Interlibrary Loan privileges are not available with Special Borrowing permits. For additional information regarding library privileges, please contact the Strozier Circulation desk at 850.644.5425.
What information must be provided to register for Interlibrary Loan?
- Current Address
- Correct Status - Select "Distance Learner" if you live beyond 50 miles of the FSU Tallahassee Campus. Distance Learners DO NOT select "Graduate" or "Undergraduate"
- FSUID email. MUST be your FSUID email
- Current telephone number where we may reach you directly
- FSUCard number (number at the bottom of your FSUCard beginning with 206)
Who is considered a Distance Learner?
Any student who lives beyond 50 miles of the Tallahassee FSU campus.
Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
Your username and password allows us to give you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. We can also enable you to edit your personal information.
Your username and password will be your FSUID username and password.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years in order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.
What materials can be borrowed?
Interlibrary Loan is a library to library transaction and is regulated by the Copyright Law (U.S. Code, Title 17) and the policies of the
American Library Association Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States. ILL provides access to most research and
scholarly materials NOT owned by the FSU Libraries.
Interlibrary Loan makes every effort to obtain the item/s requested, however, there are items that cannot be obtained through Interlibrary Loan. Your request will be cancelled, if we are unable to fill it.
NOTE: Republic of Panama faculty, staff, and students may only request materials that are owned by the FSU Main Campus Libraries in Tallahassee.Following is a list of items generally NOT available for borrowing from another librar:
- Entire issues of bound or unbound journals
- Reference books
- Special Collections Materials
- Multimedia Materials (VHS cassettes, CDs, DVDs, microfiche, microforms, etc.)
- Teaching Kits
- Resource Guides
- Standardized Test Preparation Materials (GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc.)
- Comic Books
- Electronic Resources (Books in NetLibrary, E-Journals, etc.)
- Items on Reserve
- Computer Software
Can I borrow items published in the current year?
Journal articles published in the current month may not be available through Interlibrary Loan. Books published in the current year are loaned at the discretion of the lending library.
Can I borrow textbooks?
Florida State University is an institution of research. The University Libraries Interlibrary Loan Office does not consider textbooks either at the undergraduate or graduate levels to be research materials. Some libraries do have textbooks in their collections; however Florida State University Libraries prohibits interlibrary loan access to textbooks. Since it is the type of material that is restricted, the policy does not differentiate between those used in a course here at FSU. Should you wish to purchase a textbook, please contact the General Book Manager at the FSU Bookstore. They offer Online Textbook order service and can be reached at 850.644.0389.
If an FSU book is currently checked out, can I request it through Interlibrary Loan?
When an FSU book is on loan, you need to submit a recall request. If an item is still unavailable two (2) weeks after placing a recall, you can request it through ILL. Please include the date that you placed the recall in the note field of your request. This also applies to missing or lost books. ***In the note field please indicate if the book is missing or lost.***
Can I request an item from another library in Tallahassee?
Any item that is available at a local library in Tallahassee (FAMU, TCC, Leroy Collins Public Library, State Library) can be obtained personally via the Library Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges Agreement (LRBPA). The LRBPA has been established by the member institutions of the State University System and the State Community College System. Any student, faculty or staff member enrolled at or employed by any of the participating institutions is eligible to borrow via the LRBPA. Similarly, borrowing privileges at the Leon County Public Library and the State Library of Florida are granted to local residents upon presentation of appropriate identification.
How do I submit requests?
Before you complete an ILL request form, confirm that the material is not owned by any FSU library by searching the FSU catalog. If the material is not owned by FSU, complete an ILLiad request for each item you need. ILLiad request forms are only available electronically via ILLiad. To request an item from ILL, select one of the following: ILLiad Logon Page: Create Accounts,Request items, check the status of your requests, or revise your ILL profile.
How long does it take to receive the item I request?
On average it takes eleven (11) working days to fill an ILL request, though it can take as little as three (3) days or as long as a month to receive materials, depending on the location, availability and processing time of the item at other libraries. The ILL office cannot predict the availability or the staffing levels of the interlibrary loan office we send your request to, therefore we cannot guarantee that materials will be received within a specified period of time. We encourage you to submit requests well in advance of deadlines. To facilitate the process:
- please obtain complete citations from standard bibliographic sources and make note of where you found the item in your request.
- Provide as much detail as possible
- Do not use abbreviations unless the source of the citation uses them.
How will I be notified when my item has arrived?
ILL will notify you by email when an item has arrived. Items will be available for pick up either electronically through your ILLiad account or by pick-up at your designated delivery location.
How do I get the materials?
Journal articles will be delivered to you electronically via the web in PDF format. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to download the articles.
When are ILL materials due?
There is no standard loan period for ILL items as the library that lends the material specifies the due date. Typically, items may be kept for two weeks. The due date for materials will be noted on the bookstrap around the item. The lending library may place certain restrictions on the item, such as "In-library use only." Patrons are responsible for the timely return of items borrowed through ILL. Renewals are not allowed on material borrowed from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan.
How do I return the materials?
Books may be returned to either the Strozier, Dirac, Goldstein, or Music Library circulation desk, whichever is more convenient for you. Books should not be placed in the book drops as the bookstrap may be damaged or torn off. ILL strongly recommends that you ask circulation staff for a receipt which will verify that the item has been returned.
***Distance Learners ONLY must return the items via Federal Express or UPS for tracking purposes.
Panama City, Florida Campus Distance Learners may return ILL items to the Panama City, Florida Campus Library.
How do I renew the materials?
Renewals are NOT allowed on materials borrowed from other libraries. ***Distance Learners ONLY may renew items borrowed from the FSU libraries through the FSU Library renewal page. Items borrowed from other institutions may not be renewed.***
What happens if the materials are overdue?
Charges will be incurred for overdue or lost items. You will be charged through your FSU University account. Failure to pay overdue/lost charges may result in your being unable to register for classes or graduate.
Overdue materials create a burden for both the FSU Libraries and the lending library. Since we are borrowing materials from other institutions, late books can damage our relationship with them and will jeopardize the entire FSU population's ability to continue to borrow items from those institutions. Compliance with the due date on an item is your responsibility. You are responsible for insuring that your profile in Illiad has an up to date phone number and mailing and e-mail address for contact. Any attempts we make to contact you are a courtesy and our failure to reach you does not release you from responsibility to return the materials on time. Overdue items will result in your ILL privilege being suspended. When you return the overdue items your account will be restored, however, your status will be "In Library Use Only" for all ILL items for the remainder of the semester.
What if I lose or damage the materials?
You are financially responsible for the items you have borrowed from the time you pick them up until they are returned. Our policy states that you are responsible for any charges levied for an item that is lost or damaged while in your possession as well as requires you to pay for any repair, replacement or processing fees that the lending library charges. Should you lose or damage an ILL item, contact the Interlibrary Loan Office immediately at 850-644-4466.
Can a student check out items for a faculty member?
Yes. However, the faculty member must provide authorization through their Illiad account and fill out the FSU Library's authorization documentation and return it to the circulation desk.